Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Country Fried Garden Fare and Aunt Bea's Pickles?



We have so enjoyed the bounty from our garden thus far!  And from what we can tell it's only just begun producing.  We did not plant too much of a variety of veggies and fruits simpley because this being our first time ever to garden we wanted to "go slow".  But we've just recently harvested our 3rd watermelon and it was 37.2 pounds!  And red, sweet, juicy, and delicious! And I also pickled MORE pickles last weekend - and added to my regime pickled yellow squash!  Now, since you can't really test the pickles until they are done "pickling", at least six weeks and on, I understand, I made the remark to Ricky "what if, with all of my pickling efforts, we open a jar later and find we are stuck with jars and jars of "Aunt Bea's pickles"?  Remember the episode of "The Andy Griffith Show" where Aunt Bea enters her pickles at the county fair and they are inedibley horrible?  How can I/we know?  Guess you'll have to stay tuned! And I must admit that we have really enjoyed country fried garden fare including a mixture of green tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, okra, cucumber, onion, and green pepper!  The more variety the merrier the fry!  Dip in a little homemade ranch dressing and yummo!



No comments:

Post a Comment