Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gettin' Me Some Guinea

We took a trip out to a couple's, who have quickly become friends, home to see their goats and chickens.  We have entertained the idea of raising a few goats.  Goats seem to be very controversial farm animals.  I get such a varied reaction when I mention this idea.  "Meat goats are the only way to go."  "Milk goats are the easiest to raise."  "Oh, honey, you don't want to raise goats, get a cow."  "They are generally susceptible to infections."  "They take a lot of maintenance".  "They make wonderful farm pets".  Our new friends have raised up to 175 meat goats but now only keep 10 for freely roaming outdoor pets.  We're definitely planning to raise chickens and when I broach this subject with people it's usually a positive reaction such as "I raise chickens!"  Our new friends raise their beautiful chickens for the white, brown, green, blue, and pink eggs.  They sell them every Sunday to ladies at their church.  I imagine they're a hit around Easter.  The chickens also roam freely during the day with the goats.  They all go into their respective shed/house at night for protection - although he did say he shot a bobcat once coming down during the day for the chickens.  Anyway, also running free on the land were two lovely speckled guinea.  Not guinea pigs - guinea fowl.  We learned the guinea were fun and easy to raise, control fire ants and ticks on the property, and are good "watch dogs" alerting you to potential danger!  Since I've lived in Texas in the hot summer and experienced fire ant bites and their huge mounds in my yard - I'm gettin' me some guinea.  Since I've actually had a bloodsucking tick attached to my body - I'm gettin' me some guinea.  And, hey, since Marmaduke only barks at cats and coyote - guess I'm gettin' me some guinea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment