Friday, March 9, 2012

Tomatoes, Bananas, and Brahmas

I tried my hand at canning for the first time this week.  We were blessed with several pounds of tomatoes of which about half were good so I canned them thinking I wouldn't be out much if I didn't do well and I need the practice since I'm planning a large harvest from my first ever garden this year.  After I was finished I realized some steps that I probably didn't do correctly.  Like using my fingers (clean) to push the tomatoes in the jar and to pick up the seals/lids and there seemed to be a lot of airy space in the jars at the end.  When Ricky came home he examined the jars and said they were sealed although I never heard the famous audible sealing of each jar.  Anyway, I think we'll use them soon, just in case.  We also received a large bunch of bananas so I made a couple of loaves of gluten-free chocolate chip banana nut bread.   It is baking in a toaster oven since our regular oven got damaged in the move and is not working - so we'll see how it turns out.  Oh, and as I write about tomatoes and bananas four very large grey Brahma bulls catch my eye through the window running along the fence in the pasture on the other side our pasture - or over yonder.  Quite a site these lumbering large animals.  Gotta love this country living!  Oh, and there they go the other way!  Wow, something has these bulls all stirred up!  Just hope they stay on their side of the fence - not quite prepared for a stampede.  Maybe it's the sweet aroma of chocolate chip banana nut bread baking in the toaster oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment