Thursday, March 29, 2012

Skunk'd!

Yesterday morning I was out in the garden checking on things and decided to weed with my new weeding tool.  It is a great invention yet still left my shoulders and neck and arms aching and spasming.  Those who know me know I've had two major interbody spinal surgeries one of which was cervical.  The fact that I am even out here trying to garden is a miracle in itself.  Anyway, after weeding for about 30 minutes I came into the camphouse to rest before my next project.  We have a magnetic closing (As Seen On TV) screen door on the camphouse for cooling so the metal door was open and I was resting.  I heard a horrible commotion involving the dogs barking and raising a ruckus and thumping up against the camphouse so thinking it was a cat they had cornered I went to the screen door to look out and immediately saw that it was a skunk!  At that exact time it sprayed and I reactively pulled the metal door shut as the dogs continued to terrorize their prey right on the front stoop!  But it was too late.  The entire camphouse (all 120 sq. ft) filled with the horrible odor.  My nose began to burn and I felt I couldn't breathe!  I couldn't open the door and leave because of the battle ensuing on my stoop!!!  I looked around in the camphouse to find my phone and I notice a furry black creature laying on the floor!!!  Panic really set in with me thinking it was a second skunk inside with me!  I freaked!  It was our black cat.  The cats ARE NOT ALLOWED in the camphouse.  During what seemed to be a long while, but I'm sure it was a few minutes, I realized I couldn't stay in the camphouse 'cause I couldn't breathe, but I couldn't go out because of the ferocious fight of the two dogs with the skunk!  I felt trapped!  When I saw through the window that the skunk was dead and being flapped around in the mouths of the dogs I made a run for it to the main house.  Oh my!  The odor was unbearable.  I called Ricky at work and was yelling unintelligible things and he came home to discard the skunk.  But the damage had been done.  The cabin would remain uninhabitable the rest of the day/evening.  Maybe even a couple of days - I haven't checked yet.  Yep.  My one place of "comfort" and respite on our homestead was no longer that.  Later in the evening Ricky took a recliner out of storage and set it up in our finished kitchen and that's where I slept (or not really) last night.  Ricky shared Fred's room.  The dogs slept outside since they were a stinking mess!  There seems to never be a dull or dare I say comfortable moment out here.  Do I even remember what a comfort zone is?  The dogs have come around smelling like a skunk before but this was too up close and personal for me - that was the closest I have ever been to a skunk and I never want to be that close again.  But, I'm living in the country so what are my chances?  I am thankful that my dogs are taking care of business but couldn't they take care of it somewhere else?  Like maybe "herd" the skunk out into the pasture for the kill?  "Green acres is the place for me."  Really?  Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment