Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Honeysuckle and Roses

Yes, I've had a few days (well, okay, maybe more than a few) out here in the "wild" country feeling discouraged, isolated, and stir crazy.  While each day I try to make progress on all of our endeavors some days I just don't want to address any of these pursuits.  I just want to have a day with no millions of projects screaming at me to be done!  Unpacking, re-packing, starting a garden, yard work, broken down equipment, vehicles that won't start or run, painting, dogs, cats, chickens, skunks, snakes, fleas, mosquitoes, tall grass out of control, laundry, dishes, cleaning, cooking, schooling, and so much more.  And yes, being in this camphouse so long has taken its toll.  It is all very taxing physically, mentally, and emotionally.   I've gone around 14 days at a time without leaving the premises.  Yes.  The rest of the family gets out, but I don't so much.  Too much to be done, and really no where to go.  Besides the gas prices now 'cause a round trip to the nearest Walmart to cost around $20 before you even purchase anything!  And it takes your whole day!  So I begin to dream of maybe a trip to the city to experience a grand 5-star hotel again or 5-star dining (or at this point I'll take 3-stars).  I long for the days of my hotel and restaurant evaluations.  Or maybe a mani/pedi or wonderful massage.  A waxing.  Sipping on a dirty martini or glass of wine and having intellectually stimulating conversations.  (Of course I'd have to drive at least two hours to find any of the aforementioned luxuries, except maybe for the martini, wine, and conversations.)  Just anything but the "same ole" "same ole".  But then I discover unexpected roses on bushes throughout our yard beginning to bloom.  And again, unexpected honeysuckle vines begin to show themselves nestled around the base of a cluster of oaks right outside my camphouse door.  The butterflies flutter and the hummingbirds hum.  The fig tree emerges and the blueberries grow on the bush.  I see buds on the blackberries and strawberries growing in the garden.   The garlic grows and the wild onions abound.  The chickens amaze us with their antics and the dogs show their loyalty over and over again.  The cats entertain us with their frolicking about.  Our old dilapidated house slowly becomes a home.  The sounds of nature, crickets, bullfrogs, owls, mules, cows, and more, plus unidentified sounds, are actually calming (unless it's the coyotes).  And new local friendships emerge.  Yes, the newly discovered sweet fragrances and beauty of the honeysuckle and roses alone remind me that my God longs to give good things to His children and I am blessed.  But isn't funny about human nature.  The grass is always greener somewhere that you're not.  I know that when I do make that visit to the city, I'll long to come back to my wild country place and His gift of honeysuckle and roses. 

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are (understandably)experiencing burnout. Even when you are fulfilling your dream, the grind can get to you, but often times it takes something very simple to refresh and bring back the spark. PTL for roses and honeysuckle. Treat yourself to some little something special--you deserve it and will be better for it!

    ReplyDelete