Friday, August 3, 2012

A Sticky Situation

Making jelly is a sticky situation.  And a hot and spicy one, too.  Won't be doing that again!  Well, at least any time soon.  Jalapeno Jelly from jalapenos from our garden.  A sticky mess!  Did I mention sticky? First be sure and use gloves to seed and stem the green little gems - thankfully I did - but I could still feel some of the heat.  And, it being my first time I did not know that a mixture of sugar and vinegar is very volatile.  So as I began to heat the lovely green concoction on the stove all of a sudden it began rising and rising and rose over the rim of the deep pan and into the floor and all over everywhere!  Of course the all over everywhere was when I was removing it from the burner in a frenzied panic to the island.  This was certainly one of my "Lucy" moments - just didn't have "Ethel" there to assist!  I did get control once again this time proceeding very cautiously.  Once the project was finished and jarred I began a tedious and repetitive clean-up of the kitchen.  Sticky begets sticky!  This undertaking was very time consuming and messy and in the end it only produced four little half pint jars! But all's well that ends well, right?  The jelly is mighty tasty when combined with cream cheese and served with steak!  Yummo!  Yes, the thought has already occurred to me that I may just make some more of this jalapeno delight!  And in larger quantities.  Glutton for punishment?




No comments:

Post a Comment