Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Gluten-Free Homestead Gumbo

I created my own recipe of cajun gumbo and as we were eating realized that a great bit of my ingredients came from our homestead!  Now, that was quite satisfying.  I would have never imagined a year ago that this would be.  If you're interested in replicating this dish don't think you have to raise your own - just go to your local grocery store for your ingredients.

From our garden/homestead: 
Rooster (chicken), green peppers, jalapeno peppers, sage, and okra

The only problem with your replicating my recipes - mostly why this is not a recipe blog - is that I don't do measurements.  I cook by "feel".  I'm odd in that I don't even taste my dish as I create - I just do it and it usually turns out very tasty!

Earlier in the day I boiled my rooster that we had butchered a couple a months ago (had been frozen).  Deboned it.  Chopped it and set it aside.  Then for good measure I put the bones and skin back in the broth, added wine, water, chopped onion, chopped sage and continue to boil then simmer for a couple of hours to create about 3 quarts of chicken stock that I put up for future!  It feels great to stretch our food!  

I prepared brown rice in my rice cooker ahead of time.  

Then I put some olive oil in a deep sided pot.  Added some gluten-free all purpose flour from Bob Mill.  Browned the flour, creating a roux.  Added chopped onions, green peppers, jalapeno peppers.  Continued to saute.  Added Tony's Seasoning, and Old Bay Seasoning.  Added tomato sauce, water, red wine, Better Than Bullion chicken base and simmered.  Added chopped okra.  Added chopped cooked chicken.  Simmered.  Served over rice.  It was quite spicy and my "men" loved it! They didn't even need the Louisiana Hot Sauce that was on the table for enhancing!

Although, as we were discussing the rooster who's name we were trying decide - didn't put the name on the freezer bag - my sons' appetite started waning.  Ricky and I tried to help the situation by telling them that our rooster had a better, more humane life, than the chicken we buy in the grocery store, and were healthier for us since it was free-ranged. 

I must say we are beginning to settle in to the homesteading lifestyle.  And all is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment